You work hard on your home decorating. From watering the backyard plants to fixing up torn wallpaper and damaged furniture, you may be wondering what else you can do to add some extra flair. A glass door installation might be the perfect solution.
Glass doors are decorative pieces that allow natural light to pass into your home, giving you a clear view of the garden or patio that you have worked hard on. Thinking about installing door glass in the future? There’s surprisingly little information out there about the process, but here are some tips and tricks to get you started.
Don’t forget that a professional installation is always an option in addition to a DIY kit. Fusion Glass is here to help you on your next project.
Choosing the Type of Door Glass
Two traits to look for in glass doors are safety ratings and energy efficiency.
- Safety. It is no secret that glass can be fragile. Compared to regular glass panes, we recommend tempered glass, which does not result in sharp edges when broken. Taking care of your glass is simple, but there’s no reason not to stay careful.
- Energy efficiency. Temperature passes through glass doors often, so choosing a more efficient panel type means lower heating/air conditioning costs for you as well as better temperature insulation for your home. It also blocks out harmful UV-rays from the sun. We recommend Low-emissivity (Low-E) glass or insulated glass units.
Find a model of glass door that matches well with your needs and budget before starting the installation process.
Deciding on Cost
The question in your head right now is probably, “How much will this cost?” Door glass installation is surprisingly not expensive, even for a sliding door. The price depends on several factors like material, size, and finish quality. However, the average cost for an individual sliding glass door is approximately $2,200.
Common Methods of Installation
For the DIY fan, door glass is installed through a few different processes. It mostly involves adding glass inserts. The following is a basic list, so be sure to consult your manufacturer’s instructions.
- Retainer clips are an easy and fast way to install a glass door. You only need a drill and screwdriver to add holes to the door to accept the retainer clips. While easy, this process may result in some rattling if not done perfectly.
- Glazing points are another popular method of installation. While moderately difficult, adding glazing points results in an aesthetically pleasing look since the putty involved is usually not visible.
- Silicone caulking is a more difficult option that involves a caulking gun with masking tape. The result is also beautiful, as it dries clear, and there’s no chance of rattling. However, caulking can permanently stain etched surfaces, so it isn’t recommended for beginner DIYers.
You have the option of doing a DIY project or going for professional servicing. Either way, it’s one step closer to better interior decorating.
Fusion Glass Works Inc: Leading Entry Door Glass Insert Supplier
Privacy glass is a great option for homeowners, and even corporate business owners. You can choose different levels of privacy glass, depending on your needs, and you can swap out our door glass inserts when the need arises. Glass inserts are an affordable way to increase your privacy, reduce your heating and cooling bills, and light your home.
For over 25 years, we have provided stellar service to customers for their door glass and door glass products. Using an innovative process and state-of-the-art technology, we manufacture glass to customer specifications.
Find our products at your local home improvement store or contact us today to speak to an expert about bulk ordering possibilities.